Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation
Mitsubishi entered the automobile industry in 1918, when passenger car Model-A was developed. However, the company suspended producing vehicles after Model-A was introduced. It was not until 1932 that the company re-entered the production of vehicles as they built the B46, first member of Fuso bus, for the bus routes operated by the Ministry of Railroads. The development of touring buses started in line with the route buses. The first dedicated model was the BS40 of 1934. The business expanded when there was great need for trucks and buses in the occupied Manchuria and Taiwan in late 1930s and early 1940s.
After World War II, the corporation was permitted by the allied forces to build buses and trucks for civilian use. The classic B46 chassis was also used as the basis of design. Owing to shortage of fuel after the war, electric powered buses and diesel powered buses were put into service in 1947 and 1948 respectively.
The first rear-engined model was R1 of 1950. It followed by R2 in 1954. Both buses were 11m in length and equipped with a horizontally mounted engine. These buses became the largest buses in the country at that time.
In 1958, turbocharged engine and air suspension were first used in the company's products. Two years later, the first small bus model, Rosa, was introduced. It could accommodate 21 passengers.
High speed buses had been built since the early 1960s for express routes on the newly built expressways. This also influenced a lot on the development of coaches.
The Aero King double decker was developed in the early 1980s to meet the demand for overnight express service and sightseeing service.
Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Series
Mitsubishi Fuso Fighter Series
Mitsubishi Fuso New Aero Bus MM
Mitsubishi Fuso Aero Midi-S Series
Mitsubishi Fuso Aero Star Non-Step
Mitsubishi Fuso MS513R (Japan)
Return to Anthony's Bus Homepage
Page created: 31 May 1999
Last updated: 15 December 2017