The history of Ikarus Karosszéria , formerly Ikarus Jármûgyártó Részvénytársaság (Ikarus Vehicle Manufacturing Holdings), was started by a blacksmith called Imre Uhri after opening his coach-building shop in Hungary in 1895. The scale of production began to enlarge in 1927 when a large domestic order had been endorsed for the construction of inter-city bus bodies. A large aircraft manufacturing plant was opened in Yugoslavia in the early 1930s. In the mid-1930s, the company developed its metal-frame body construction technology and the number of vehicles had been further increased.
Between 1939 and 1942, Ikarus had begun to produce vehicles and aeroplanes on a large scale. Factories were built in the Mátyásföld district of Budapest for the manufacturing of road vehicle and aeroplanes in the period 1943-44. The company was nationalised in 1947 and the first post-war bus was made in that year. The urban Ikarus bus was designed in the following year. In 1951, Ikarus invented the Series 30 bus, the first successful export model. In the vintage 1961-62, a new family of urban buses was designed and the facture was expanded. About 6 years later, the Series 200 bus, Ikarus's most successful model, was put into production.
In 1991, Ikarus Limited was founded as a partly privatised company. They began to design low-floor buses, easy access urban buses, gas driven buses and double deckers. In early 1998, Ikarus was privatised. In 1999, the bus producing business of the firm became a member of Irisbus.
Return to Irisbus
Return to Anthony's Bus Homepage
Page created: 15 January 2001
Last updated: 11 November 2012